What's your name?
What area are you running in?
What is one thing you would do to encourage more young adults to live in Greater Sudbury?
Continue to encourage:
- the "creative class"..i.e. medical research initiatives and other specialized educational endeavors, creating high paying jobs.
- get young adults engaged in a longterm formal, discussion: Invite them to participate in a panel/think tank developing future strategies as they are the future.Be a part of the process.
- Affordable housing in safe, family friendly, inclusive neighborhoods for those starting up and for those staying put.
How would you address homelessness and addictions in Greater Sudbury?
Continue to support : Out of the cold program,harm reduction program,donation of 2 buildings (200 Brady) and Lourdes location (transitional housing) to CMHA.
- our other homeless shelter funding commitments (i.e.les jeunes de la rue,SACY etc.)
- Will support a safe injection site as it has proven to be effective.
- Participated in an AD Hoc committee, which resulted in SACY's funding for needle pick up particularly in the downtown Ward 10 and 12.
If you could start over with roads in Greater Sudbury, how would you develop the transportation network to improve quality of life?
- review the Official Plan to assess if 40 year old road designs that remain on the books, are necessary,respond to current road design philosophies and their effects on established neighborhoods (Montrose)
- better major trucking routes circumventing the downtown-Elm Street_
- Mandatory sidewalks on both sides of a street-complete streets-segregated bicycle lanes .streets designed to enable safe usage by all residents regardless of ability.
- continue to support the Transit Master Plan.
If you were to create your own public art policy for Greater Sudbury, what are three things you would include?
- more legalized graffiti walls-perhaps an urban centralized area to create a signature area. Could be a public attraction (Queen st TO)
- local talent must be included when municipal dollars are invested.
- 1% investment-budget allocation-in public art (juried) for major developments in the urban core including the municipality
There’s been no major private sector investment in the downtown core for years. Why do you think that is and how would you change it?
Actually there has been.Rainbow Mall redesign (Desjardin relocation)Red Oak 80, bed addition, St. Andrews Place, Muirhead's building retrofit, Shoppers Drug Mart, in addition to publicly funded projects (Green stairs Brady, Elgin Greenway and the market.)
There are incentive programs in place to promote development: TIF, Dev. charge exemption, 20k per door allocation for residential.Could we do more? -probably.. however the taxpayer cannot be the sole investor.
If given the chance, would you renegotiate the ward system in Greater Sudbury? Elaborate why.
I have supported a review which is in order given the time span .since 2001, (amalgamation) and has been relegated to the next term. I have no firm opinion until the review is complete. The objective of the review should strike a balance between the interests of the individual Wards and the city as a whole.
It will be an interesting discussion.
Greater Sudbury’s environment is a work in progress. What would you do to keep our water clean, our trees healthy, and air fresh?
I have advocated for the LIDs principles, to be integrated in our building practices for better stormwater management.
I am presently exploring a program whereby the municipality recognizes the value of natural assets( lakes), in reducing risk to our infrastructure caused by climate change. Interesting concept espoused by leading municipalities in Canada.
I presented the motion to restrict the use of outdoor hydronic heaters from specific zones in the urban core.
What would you do to foster a healthy business sector throughout Greater Sudbury?
I advocated for CPTED (audits and staff training (now part of our planning exercises) being performed in concert with CIPs to make town centers safer and more attractive for patrons and investors
Ensure better communication strategies are in place when projects are slated for a certain business area to allow for more preparation time for owners.
Ward12: Presently working with the FM BIA /LUA on Laforest st revitaiization as well as a unique project opportunity for Notre Dame ave.Stay tuned!
If you had to choose 5 emojis to describe your platform what would they be?